Cross Back Apron

cross-strap-apron-back

Just before Easter, frantically thinking of something my son would love/use that WASN’T CANDY and WOULDN’T EMPTY MY WALLET (any stores accept moths as payment?), I decided to make him a smock/apron out of my fabric stash.  Woot!  No cost awesome gift!  However….

Mom and Dad don’t have aprons.  So why would mini us want one?  I would need to make one for myself.  I searched and searched the net for a free pattern I liked.  Frilly?  No.  Strappy?  No.  Half apron?  No.  I needed one without ruffles (they have their place, but not on ME.), without too many adjustments, that would stay in place and protect my clothes.  So I got to work.  I found a yard of floral heavy duty cotton leftover from pillow making and a bunch of blue polka dot quilting cotton that I had found a while back thrift store hopping (a beloved past time of mine) in my stash and held them up to me to make sure they’d be big enough to cover this post-kid-making body of mine – it was just enough.

I placed the two fabrics, right sides together, on my floor and folded it in half.  Then I cut out the extra fabric between the bust, under the arms, and to the back.  I stitched (fabrics still right sides together) down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side, but left the top open from the back to the bust to the other back (have I lost you yet?  My command of the English language = awful).  I turned this right side out and measured myself for straps, which I cut from the blue polka dot because I only had small scraps of the floral left.  The straps ended up being 5″ wide and 2′ long each.  I folded each in half lengthwise, right sides facing, and stitched up the long side, turned each tube, and stitched up the long side again for strength.  I folded in the seam allowance at the back, inserted a strap between the layers, and stitched the strap in place, continuing up toward the bust and folding in the seam allowance as I went (I HATE HATE HATE pinning and ironing.  Yes, I know I am not doing this properly.  But if I limited myself to doing everything THE right way, it would bleed all the fun out of crafting.  So stuff it Aunt Bethel.)

I repeated this step on the other side, still trying to make Aunt Bethel faint, then folded in the seam allowance on the bust, inserted each strap on the side of the bust opposite the side of the back they were already attached to (making sure to not twist the straps.  Though I *do* have extensive knowledge in the use of seam rippers, I tend to be in a pretty crappy mood when I have to use them), and stitched across the bust.  You can stop here, but I also stitched around the whole apron to help it lay flat, and added bust darts (just stitched in place, no cutting or seaming) because lets face it, boobs are good.  They deserve that extra step.

If you are a “MORE IS MORE” type you could embellish the heck out of this, but it is perfect for me as-is.  It covers me from what my hubby calls the “target area” (the area that food is most likely to drip on) to just below my knee, and, even though I was completely winging it, only took me an hour and a half to make.

So – go make your own!

*Aunt Bethel is a purely fictional ol’ biddy and does not require the stick to be pulled from her derriere.  I sincerely apologize if you know an Aunt Bethel, or if you happen to be an Aunt Bethel, for suggesting that said Aunt Bethel is a rigid stick-in-the-mud that is currently shooting me the old stink eye.  Though I’d wager she is..

Read 2 comments

Leave a Reply